Thursday, October 21, 2010

To Trust or Not to Trust that is the Question...


Next fall I plan to enroll in graduate school. I would love to attend UW-Madison. As I have been searching for research advisors, there has been one prevailing name that keeps sticking out to me, Enid Montague.  I have decided to analyze a collection of here publications, instead of on journal. I think I will being able to get more from studying her research interest and topics, since I would like to potentially work with here.

The first publication I am reading is about patients’ trust of technology in heath care. Patient’s trust has the “potential to affect the way the technology is used or not used in their care.”

After experimentation it was found that patients physicians experience technology in different ways, and therefore have different levels of trust towards it.

The publication also talked about ways to alleviate some of the patience distrust. This can be done by showing compassing for discomfort caused by the technology such as a tight blood pressure cuff, or a noisy MRI.  

When it came to patients, they develop trust in medical technology by logically combing the technology with the providers who use them. In their mind it’s a twp-part system that is evaluated together. The major components are trust in care providers, how the providers use the technology, and characteristics of the technology.  

I thought this was interesting because I would like my focus to be healthcare when I get to graduate school. Also its interesting how patience do not just assess the technology but more so how well it is used.

1 comment:

  1. France, this definitely is an interesting topic. I agree that it is important to have patients' trust before performing any type of service. This will be an important concept to keep in mind when determining how to help improve the healthcare system from an IE standpoint.

    Thus, any changes that are made should be justified and explained to the patients before implementing them (at least those that directly affect the patient as well as those changes that can be noticed by the patients themselves).

    ReplyDelete